Menu for the week of August 13th, 2012:
Monday, 8.13: falafel pie.
Tuesday, 8.14: dinner out at Six Plates Wine Bar in Durham. delicious and unique small plates!
Wednesday, 8.15: leftovers.
Thursday, 8.16: farinata pizza.
Friday, 8.17: minty-lemon lentils with spinach.
Saturday, 8.18: black bean burger with steamed spiced yucca.
Sunday, 8.19: the tyler twin’s are in town! a light dinner of smoothies after a HUGE veggie Indian buffet lunch at Udupi Cafe in Cary.
Minty-Lemon Lentils with Spinach
We have a new favorite recipe! Another winner from the Forks Over Knives cookbook, this dish can be prepared in 20 minutes in one pot and is very very easy! And the flavor profile of the mint and lemon/lime together is very unique. This is definitely worth a try… And I think for us it will become a lunch staple for us because it is so easy to whip up the night before!
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 medium red-skinned potatoes or 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 to 3 cups)
- 6 to 12 oz baby spinach leaves (the more the better!)
- zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 3 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- black pepper
1. Cook garlic for 1 minute in a saucepan over medium heat, adding a little vegetable broth or water as necessary.
2. Add 3 cups vegetable broth, lentils, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the lentils are tender.
3. Add spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cayenne. Cover and simmer until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in mint and black pepper to taste.